Tuesday, November 27, 2007

There are certain days...


"There are certain days I think this is a drop in the bucket," Farmer said one morning in mid January. "And there are certain days I think we've started a virtuous social cycle that can't be stopped."

Now, if Paul Farmer feels this way on occasion, it makes me feel a whole lot better! (I think he may be my new hero.) Better days are coming... Maybe the not-so-good days are truly catalysts in disguise to keep us going stronger than before.

Paul Farmer is one of the top leaders in public health, and the above and below quotes are taken from an article on his work. http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/22/Floridian/A_healer_in_Haiti.shtml The resemblence in the below statement is so similar to what I was remarking on yesterday.

Farmer studied medical anthropology at Duke University, and, after graduation, worked and traveled throughout Haiti. Once he had seen the suffering and injustice there, he began to feel, as he has ever since, that to turn his back on it would be moral cowardice.
"What I always say is, "The only thing worse than doing something about it is not doing something,' " Farmer said. "I mean, you can leave, but unless you have some pretty good drugs, you're not going to forget."


Thanks to encouragement from my Dad, here's a good story to remember in times like these, when we don't see anything good coming out of what we try so hard for... "Pushing Against the Rock." http://www.forhimracing.com/pb/wp_01430745/wp_01430745.html

1 comment:

Theresa said...

When I first saw this rock picture, I thought it was that one of Dad actually pushing a giant rock. I can't remember where we were when he did that, but it made me laugh:)